140 YEARS of FAMILY tradition
Since the end of the 19th century, the name Soravia has stood for construction and real estate expertise. Giovanni “Johann” Batista Soravia (1841–1912) had left his home in Northern Italy and moved to the Drau Valley in Carinthia. There, he was first employed by the state as a river manager.
In 1885, however, he joined up with Johann Lindauer to found their own construction company. The focus of the company was on road construction. Their construction sites extended from Galicia to Gerlos and from the Lesach Valley to the Grossglockner.
Soravia Bau profited from the “economic miracle” that followed the Second World War.
Karlino Soravia was very successful here, with his brother Erwin II looking after the asphalt and concrete company, a joint subsidiary of ILBAU and Soravia Bau. In 1976, Soravia Bau merged with ILBAU and the word Soravia disappeared from the company names.
Several years later, the German company, Strabag, took over ILBAU, with Erwin and Karlino Soravia its core shareholders. After Erwin withdrew from the operational side of the business, his shareholding was sold for strategic reasons.
Erwin’s sons, Hanno and Erwin III, remained true to the family tradition and in 1989 started independent careers in the real estate industry – founding today’s SORAVIA.